Yields: 7 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr 30 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 40 Mins
Beef Pinapaitan or Bitter Stew is consist of different beef innards such as liver, heart, kidney, intestine, and tripe. Pinapaitan is an Ilocano delicacy.
- Wash thoroughly ox innards and liver, In a wok or casserole. put all innards, cover with water and boil for 15 minutes.
- Discard innards and cut into small slices. set aside broth.
- In a casserole, heat oil and saute onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant. add innards and stir fry for 3-5 minutes. Add water and let boil for 1 hour or until innards are tender.
- Add patis or fish sauce, beef broth, beef cubes and cook for another 5-10 minutes
- Stir in tamarind powder and add bile 1 tsp. at a time, Adjust the amount of bile according to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add green chillies, Season with salt and ground pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer into serving bowl, Garnish with spring onion and siling labuyo if desired. Serve hot with steamed rice.